Monday, November 28, 2022

My Top 10 Worst Songs of 2022

 With 2022 almost over, it's time to take a look at the 10 worst songs of the year. 2022 was a super mediocre year for music, so choosing my bottom 10 was a cinch. Before we get to the top 10, let's take a look at some songs that weren't quite bad enough to reach my top 10 with my dishonorable mentions.

Dishonorable Mention #1:

TO THE MOON - Jnr Choi/Sam Tompkins


Drill music has no business being anywhere near pop radio. Also wtf is that album cover!?

Dishonorable Mention #2:

I AM WOMAN - Emmy Meli

A super annoying woman empowerment song. Also the title doesn't make sense grammatically.

Dishonorable Mention #3:

GHOST TOWN - Benson Boone

An extremely boring ballad and Benson Boone sounds worse than Lewis Capaldi.

Dishonorable Mention #4:

Oh My God - Adele


Oh my God, this song was super overplayed and annoying.

Dishonorable Mention #5:

Woman - Doja Cat


This was insanely annoying and the lyrics suck, she's just saying woman over and over again. 

With the dishonorable mentions done, let's start at #10.

#10: Fingers Crossed - Lauren Spencer-Smith

This is literally a carbon copy of Lewis Capaldi's Before You Go, expect with a female singer. Lauren Spencer-Smith sounds terrible, she sounds like a female version of Lewis Capaldi. She's oversinging way too much, and she's practically screaming in the chorus. The production is identical to Before You Go, just a basic guitar ballad. Not a great first impression to Lauren Spencer-Smith, but luckily Flowers was way better than this.


#9: Lift Me Up - Rihanna

With this song only being out for a few weeks, I wondered if I should include it or not, but I ended up including up because it was so bad. We haven't had any music from Rihanna since 2017, and this garbage is her first comeback hit? This was made for the Wakanda movie, and I'm not sure why it became a hit. This song is just unbelievably boring. The production is non existent and doesn't evolve at all throughout the song. And then there's Rihanna herself. She sounds absolutely terrible. She's way oversinging in the chorus and she overall does not sound great. 


#8: I Like You (A Happier Song) - Post Malone/Doja Cat

Geeze, where to begin with this one? First of all, Doja Cat is in it which automatically makes it bad. Secondly, this song is just super annoying and lasted way too long. It entered the countdown on Jun 11, and as of Nov 26 it's still on the countdown with no signs of leaving anytime soon. The production is super annoying and not that good, and Post Malone and Doja Cat both sound terrible.


#7: Evergreen (You Didn't Deserve Me At All) - Omar Apollo

Wow what an annoying song. The high pitched "He don't love me no more"s in the beginning are super annoying. The 60s style production is kinda interesting, but it's super annoying. And then there's Omar Apollo. His voice is extremely bad and he needs to stay away from making music.


#6: i feel everything - Amelia Moore

Apparently Amelia Moore dropped out of college to pursue a career in music. She should have stayed in college, because she cannot sing at all. She has way too much autotune on her voice, which means she can't actually sing. And then there's the production. My god it is horrendous. The opening "Checking if you have a pulse" is super annoying. And then in the chorus she's literally screaming. A terrible song that I'm glad flopped after her one to watch was over.


#5: So Good - Halsey

I don't have the best track record with Halsey. She's had some great songs, and some really bad ones. And this is the latter. The production is super bland and basic. And then there's Halsey. She's way oversinging and sounds terrible. And by the chorus, she's practically yelling. And this spent way too long on the countdown at 23 weeks. C'mon Halsey, I know you can do better than this.


#4: Glimpse Of Us - Joji ⛪

There's a reason we call this song a church hymn. This sounds like it belongs in a church. There's even some hymns that I sing in church that are more upbeat than this. There's zero production here. It's just a few piano keys and that's all. There's no evolution in the song at all. Then there's Joji. He's singing way too high and sounds terrible.


#3: I'm Tired - Labrinth/Zendaya

The title of this song is how I feel after listening to it - very tired. I really liked Labrinth's song with Noah Cyrus in 2017 Make Me Cry, so I thought this one would also be good. Nope! The production is non existent. It starts to pick up in the chorus but disappears during the verses. And my god does Labrinth sound terrible. He can't hit a note to save his life. He's singing way too high for his vocal range and ends up shrieking for some notes. I'm pretty sure I could sing better than him. And Zendaya sounds really great here, but she only comes in for the final chorus. Why couldn't she have sang this song instead of Labrinth? It would have been 1000x better.


#2: Sweetest Pie - Megan Thee Stallion/Dua Lipa 

When I first heard about the announcement of this song, I was excited. I loved Megan Thee Stallion's other song Savage, and I love all of Dua Lipa's music. So what could possibly go wrong? Everything! Everything about this song is garbage. The trap beat is one of the most lazy and boring I've ever heard. And the lyrics are way too sexual. Then there's Megan Thee Stallion and Dua Lipa. They sound awful. It's like they're half singing and not even trying. And the fact that this song played every 5 minutes made it one of the most annoying songs of the year.

And my #1 worst song of 2022 is...
...
...
...
Drumroll please
...
...
... 


#1: Enemy - Imagine Dragons/J.I.D.

"Oh, the misery. Everybody wants to be my enem-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". Well, if you've been following my blog for a while, then you knew this was coming. I actually used to be a huge fan of ID. It's Time was and still is one of my favorite songs of all time. Then in 2017 they released one of the worst albums I've ever heard Evolve. Whatever It Takes, Believer, and Thunder were some of the worst songs of 2017. And they continue to make mediocre album after mediocre album. Then they released this song in late 2021 which is by far their worst song. Where do I even start? For starters, this song only uses two chords. While other songs can make two chords work, here it just comes off as lazy. And then there's those stupid bass guitar strings in the beginning and in the chorus that are super annoying. And how could I forget about Dan Reynolds? My god he sounds terrible. He's singing in a really weird falsetto and it's super annoying. Somehow, this song does have one redeeming quality, and that's JID. His rap verse comes in at the end and my god is it amazing. His flow is amazing and I don't think he even takes one breath throughout it. If this song was just JID's verse, it would have been 1000x better.


Well, I guess that does it for now. Stay tuned for my top 10 best songs of 2022 in the coming weeks and also my 2022 year in review coming out sometime in Jan.

1 comment:

Sabrina Carpenter (1) - Week of Sep 14, 2024

Before we get to this week's fresh 30, let's say goodbye to the songs leaving the countdown:  Paul Russell/Meghan Trainor - Slippin&...